What could be more romantic than an evening under the stars, cruising on tranquil waters, enjoying the company of your favorite person? Plan a special evening for two aboard your boat and make fireworks of your own.
Regardless of what size boat you have, a few things hold true because they are rather universal: You and your partner want to enjoy delectable food, a serene atmosphere, and serious pampering. Depending on your lifestyle, you may also enjoy a little music, and a cocktail or two (just remember not to drink and drive). Here are some ideas for you to consider and sweeten your sweetheart on this Valentine’s Day.
– If you live on a lively coastal area…. Make reservations to a fancy waterfront restaurant that offers dockage. Have some refreshments on board and perhaps a basket of cheese and fruit to tide you over while you leisurely idle toward your destination. Break open a bottle of bubbly (just remember not to BWI!).
– Plan an afternoon out at sea. After you ride out and take a dip in the ocean, relax and sit back to watch the sunset from the water. If you are near Fort Lauderdale or Miami… you get to watch the sun give way to the beautiful city lights along the coast. It’s really quite magical.
– If you are near a lake… Plan a late-night rendevouz under the moon. This year, Feb 14 coincides with the waning phase. So even though we won’t have that glorious full moon, there will still be plenty of light to enjoy out on the water. For this occasion, serve chilled shrimp cocktail (recipe to follow), and enjoy with a bottle of champagne as you name a star after your beloved. Finish off with decadent chocolate truffles for a late-night dessert treat.
– If you love your boat, but don’t want to drive… Hire a captain for the day (or evening). This way, both of you can enjoy the bubbly, and you can lavish ALL of your attention on your partner.
– If you are a serious romantic… get several dozen roses and have the petals sprinkled around the boat. Do this while the sun is still out for maximum viewing pleasure. Have some berries and champagne on board, and drive to a surprise dinner destination (make reservations!). I’m willing to bet this one will garner extra brownie points.
– If you really want to be pampered… make reservations at a marina/resort for the both of you to get massages, pedicures, enjoy an evening of fun shopping and fine dining. Live luxe!
Whatever you end up doing, there’s no question that romance will follow if you invest in just a few extra special touches… the water, the moon and the stars will do the rest.
Shrimp & Avocado Cocktail
(courtesy of allrecipes.com)
- 1 pound large cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle cocktail sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 8 wedges fresh lime
In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, avocado and cilantro. Stir in the cocktail sauce and hot pepper sauce until evenly coated. Divide into 8 small portions and serve with lime wedges. Don’t forget to bring utensils…